2005-01-29, 12:14 a.m.
I'll add to this in a bit, since I didn't answer #12. But I'm putting this up instead of my 99 things because I'm spoiling someone in the R.A.O.K. ring (#1), and (#2) that list needs an update.
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- a nd/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
To a degree, I am. I don't really like Red Heart or Lion...but I'm a big fan of Caron yarns and recycled sweaters of dubious origin and Plymouth yarns and other decent acrylics. I'm mostly vegan, too, so any wool given to me will be used as a gift with the exceptions being wool sock yarn and wool/alpaca lace weight, since I have not found a good substitute for those yet.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I am dying to spin. I've been trying to find the money to get a drop spindle and some roving; but right now, money is short for me. I do not, will not ever EVER crochet. I also sew.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I am not allergic to anything major, but I am mostly vegan so wool and angora and such are probably not the brightest of gifts. [See note on #1]
4. How long have you been knitting?
Far too long for someone my age.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do; I'm working on beefing up my Amazon list to about 15 things that say something about me and what I'm looking for in books; you can find it under firstname.lastname@example.org over on Amazon.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Not much preference by way of favorites, but I have a severe dislike. I HATE the scent of vanilla. HATE HATE HATE it.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Good god almighty, yes. A treat for me is my Friday afternoon Snickers bar.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I like making collages on journals and greeting cards by cutting up old magazines. (Rolling Stone is great; I wish I could get more old issues instead of people throwing them away!) I also sew (by hand) and can do fancy needlework.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Honestly, it's best to stay away from this all together or approach it via an email conversation because I have such odd tastes in music that it's very very hit and miss.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
My favorite colors are pink and red. I generally prefer colors that are bright and pretty without being garish (so thus, I rarely wear a color called "electric" anything). I really really dislike the color purple. As in, haven't worn the color since I was 13 years old dislike. I also dislike hunter's orange, but I'm rather fond of burnt orange.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am the oldest of 4 children and the first to move away so I have very dependant parents very far away. In Philly, it's just me and my dreams. Eventually, I might get a bird.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Sock weight yarn...lace weight yarn...
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm mostly vegan, too, so any wool given to me will be used as a gift with the exceptions being wool sock yarn and wool/alpaca lace weight, since I have not found a good substitute for those yet. I will also note that it's not so much yarns as weights...I cringe to knit with worsted weight yarn because it's so heavy and big. I much prefer dk/sport/lace/sock/aran weight yarn. Small = good!!
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Socks and lace. More and more lace. And mittens. Dying to learn how to make those really lovely complicated mitens that are Latvian/Swedish/Estonian/germanic.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks and lace. I LOVE lace. And mittens.
17. What are you knitting right now?
I have 3 pairs of socks on the needles (all under size 4 needles), a shawl I'm hating (needles are too big), two lace scarves, and three pairs of mittens need a mate.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I would rather kill myself by impailing myself on a dull spork than think about knitting a poncho. Or own a poncho pattern. Or knit a poncho. (In short: no. Just no.)
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I prefer straights and double points. If I can avoid a circ, I do; if I have to use a circ, I prefer the 29" Boye metal circs in different colors. (Easy to eyeball and tell apart.)
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I really like aluminum and plastic and that coated plastic stuff that Inox makes (since it's really cheap). Bamboo is ok and all; but if I'm buying for myself, I get Pony Pearls or Inox or Boye needles.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yes, yes, dear god yes.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My mother inspired it.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
My oldest UFO is only 3 weeks old; my oldest UFP (UnFinished Pair, as in socks or mittens or sleeves) is 1 year old.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I really like Hello Kitty, Batz Maru, and Cinnamoroll. (All from Sanrio.) I also like Tinkerbell.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Easter. (I'm also a Christian so Easter is a big religious thing for me, too.)
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Old random books published before 1950 (usually ones at junk sales and such for very very cheap), stickers to use on letters, liquid ink for my fountain pens, mittens, Hello Kitty stuff, old text books (I LOVE old textbooks! Don't throw them away!! I want them!), journals.